Friday, January 18, 2008

thoughts on iPhone

I switched to an iPhone this week after my trusty Treo 680 stopped working. That is for some reason the sound and voice microphone stopped working. I thought the Treo was the best phone I have ever owned and that was true then. The iPhone is even better.

One thing about the iPhone I find interesting is the design choice to not have drop down menus. I know this greatly simplifies the UI but the Treo had the concept of a button that would trigger a drop down menu to appear at the top of the screen. I found this intuitive and a good way of hiding the menu to gain more screen real estate. I find that the iPhone has to put buttons at the top of the screen for save, exit, etc since it lacks a menu system. It is a tradeoff. Since the iPhone only has a single home button for simplicity sake I can understand how the hidden drop down menu was not included in the UI design.

No comments: